2005-2008 Master of Landscape Architecture, Sigma Lambda Alpha Honor Society
University of Arizona College of Architecture & Landscape Architecture (CALA)
1995-1999 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography, cum laude
James Madison University; Harrisonburg, VA
Adobe CS, SharePoint, Sketch-Up, Hand Rendering, Photography, GIS, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office
2012-2014 Freelance Designer
Christy Fisher Designs
- Create new and updating existing corporate marketing materials
- Photographer for corporate and private events
2010-2012 Landscape Designer
City of Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation/Strategic Growth Area Office
- Author of Virginia Beach Central Business District Pedestrian Improvement Plan
- Author of North Landing Greenway Feasibility Study
- Co-author of the 2010 Virginia Beach Bikeways and Trails Plan
- Author of bicycle parking guidelines for the City’s land use guide
- Led the feasibility study for a multi-purpose trail along the Norfolk-Southern rail corridor
- Contributed to the Integrated Site Design Guide, which allows more flexibility in site design while encouraging green practices including permeable paving systems, green roofs, and native plants.
- Managed the Strategic Growth Area web presence
2009 Bicycle Parking Technician
Chicago Department of Transportation Bike Program
- Following the Bike 2015 Plan, responded to bicycle parking requests throughout Chicago and coordinated rack installations at over 1000 locations
- Meetings with CDOT pedestrian safety staff and the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities to update current rack placement guidelines
- Organized abandoned bicycle removal.
2007 Landscape Architect Summer Intern
Hitchcock Design Group; Chicago, IL
- Drafted construction details, reviewed construction documents and made necessary revisions
- Revised grading and drainage plans as needed
- Rendered communication and presentation graphics by hand
- Prepared planting plans and revised them according to budget
- Inspected built projects for compliance.
2007 Community Planner (Part-Time Internship)
The Drachman Institute; Tucson, AZ
- Meetings with neighborhood members and leaders to envision planning and design measures to improve the safety and health of the neighborhood
- Created graphics and presentations to communicate design solutions
- Challenges included incorporating sustainable stormwater management systems in existing infrastructure, design of traffic-calming procedures, creating safe links to community nodes, and visualizing creative uses for underutilized public space.
2004-2005 Assistant Director of Graduate Affairs
Temple University Graduate College of Arts; Philadelphia, PA
- Recommended acceptance or rejection of graduate applicants to the Director
- Verified graduation requirements and grades for current graduate students.
2001- 2003 Research Review Assistant
University of Pennsylvania Institutional Review Board; Philadelphia, PA
- Assisted the IRB Coordinator;Communicated with the research investigators regarding HIPAA requirements and approval
- Reviewed human research project applications for HIPAA compliance.
2011 Old Dominion University Business Gateway: Pedestrian and Bicycle Transportation Seminar
2010 Virginia Institute of Marine Science Coastal Training Workshop: Permeable Paving Systems
2010 Virginia Local Technical Assistance Program: Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation Planning
2010 Traffic Skills 101: A bicycle safety course offered by the League of American Bicyclists
ACTIVITIES & MEMBERSHIPS
2011- Member, Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals
2010- Member, League of American Bicyclists
2010-2012 Member, Bike Norfolk; Norfolk, VA
2008-2009 Membership Outreach Volunteer, Active Transportation Alliance; Chicago, IL
2008 Education Volunteer; Horticulture Volunteer, Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago
2006-2008 Student Representative for Academic Events Committee, CALA University of Arizona
2000-2003 Photographer/Photography Editor, Philadelphia Independent Media Center
1995-1999 Member/Publicity Director, JMU Chapter of Habitat for Humanity; Harrisonburg, VA
1996-1999 Radio Deejay, WXJM Harrisonburg
2008 Graduate Thesis
“Gleaning the Everyday Landscape through Vision, Sound, and Time”.
An exploration of qualitative landscape analysis techniques and their application in education and professional practice.